Korea - Free & Easy (Part 3 ) - Seoul

1:12:00 PM Unknown 69 Comments

Yeah, finally we reached Seoul! ^_^


From Gimpo Airport, we took the airport shuttle bus, No. 6001 to go Myeondong. Tickets (Price: KW7000) can be bought at the counter near Gate 8.  The journey took about 30mins or so, depending on the traffic.

If you are coming from Incheon International Airport, you have to take airport shuttle bus, No. 6015.

Alternatively, you can always take the subway. For us, we never took the subway because there's no escalator/lift at our subway station (Euljiro 1-ga station) and lugging 2 big luggages up the staircases was no easy feat.  The airport shuttle bus will stop at Hotel Ibis, which is just 5-10mins walk away from our hotel, Hotel Metro.
Direction from Hotel Ibis to Hotel Metro:
Facing the road (back facing Hotel Ibis), turn to your right and walk straight. After that, turn right after KB Bank (next building). Keep straight till you see Smoothie King, which is the building for Hotel Metro.  You will also pass by the restaurant Ms Lee Cafe.


Ta-da, we had reached our Hotel.  The room is not big but location is definitely good. What's more, they also threw in free Wifi in the room and breakfast (although breakfast was really nothing to shut about). On top of that, they also gave toner & moisturizer sample from Etude House for the ladies. I will definitely choose to stay here again for my next trip to Seoul, which is a cheaper alternative to Hotel Ibis.

Metro Hotel
Address: Euljiro 2(i)-ga, Jung-gu, 서울특별시
Contact: +82 2-752-1112
Website: metrohotel.co.kr
Subway Station: Euljiro 1-ga, Exit 5 or 6 
Price: KW 736, 230 for 6 nights


View Larger Map



Since there was no more driver for us in Seoul, we bought the T-money card, which is like our EZ-link card. The card itself cost KW2,500 and then you just top up the value at the subway station or convenient stores. More convenient like that lah, so I highly recommend whoever travelling in Seoul to get the card, which can also be used for buses.  The price per trip is about KW1050, so that should give you an estimation on how much you need to top up.

I got lotza of photos to post, so I shall organize them in areas, rather than based on my itinerary. Again, if you are keen on my itinerary, just drop me a comment (Bonus: you will be included automatically in my mailing list for updates as well) !

Myeongdong 

Great place for shopping and food! Streets and more streets of korean beauty products shops. It's a common sight for staff to stand outside the stores giving out free samples (e.g. facial mask, socks, cotton pads) to passerby.  

I felt paiseh if I dun buy anything from the store since I already took the free samples, so I will just grab something to buy.  I must say, such sale tactics work for me. LOL

But things are really super cheap there, especially when you are into korean beauty products. I went 'wild' buying tons of masks, serum, make-up etc. And most of the stores will also throw in sample packs when you made purchases.  Just to share my experience of the different stores:

Laneige: No free samples but prices are cheap.  The popular Water Sleeping Pack was priced $20 - $30+ (cant remember the exact pricing). When I was there, they also gave 20% discount for purchase more than KW99,000.

Etude House: Most of the Etude House stores dun give free samples, but again, prices are cheap!


Our of my favourite product from Etude House ~ the Milk Talk body wash! They really smell like Dutchlady brand milk! In Singapore, they are selling about $11.90, but there I just paid KW5,800! Of coz, I bought more lah..


I bought this at only KW10,000. I never check the price in Singapore stores, but I browsed other bloggers saying it was about SG 50+? Not sure how true, but Gmarket is selling it at a cheaper price. *Shrugged*  

Anyway, I'm diligently using it (the primer is for day time & the ampoule for night time) now, I will update again if it's really works (i.e make the lashes longer)!
 

It's Skin: They were super generous, gave me a lot of samples. Luv them! Hahaha

I bought its famous serum at only KW9,800 bottle each. Where can you get serum at S$10 right? So I bought 4 bottles!



Nature Republic:  Bought the aloe vera gel at KW4,400 and the royal jelly mask at KW1,000 per piece. The aloe vera gel is supposed to be very popular, can be used for as many as 8 different purposes. Basically can apply from head to toe, very 神奇 hor? Dunno lah, but I think it's very moisturizing and smell nice and it's so cheap.  

The masks here not super cheap as compared to the other brands, the cheapest is KW1,000 each. Most of the KW1,000 masks are the paper-kind except for the Royal Jelly Mask, which is gel-kind, so it will stick to your skin better! More worthwhile mah.. Keke

As a tip, try to buy your products bit by bit, meaning dun buy everything from just 1 store, so that you can get more freebies!! And hor, most of the shops require minimally KW30,000 to allow tax rebates, while Nature Republic requires minimal spending of KW50,000 for the tax rebate. So spread out your purchase wisely and get the most out from your shopping!

2 of my favourite male artists: Jang Geun Suk  &  Kim Hyun Joong =p

Korea Tourism Info Center

Direction: Myeongdong Station Exit 6, 7 or 8.  

There is  FREE hanbok experience @ Korea Tourism Info Center in M Plaza, so dun need to go other places and pay money for the experience. Also, you can also get free maps and brochures here, so if possible, start your itinerary here!

M-Plaza (Korea Tourism Info Center)
Address: 31-1 Myeongdong 2-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul (서울시 중구 명동 2가 31-1), Level 5
Opening Hours: 10:30 am - 10:00 pm


View Larger Map

(Note: The M-Plaza is under renovation currently, however the info centre is still opened)

N Seoul Tower


Direction: From Myeongdong Station Exit 3, walk toward Pacific Hotel. Once you've reached the Pacific Hotel, walk on the right side of the street for about 10 - 20 minutes uphill to reach the cable car station

Ok, people said walk 10mins but I think we took more than that, coz it's uphill! I was cursing & swearing as I climbed the slope. Good thing was, it was cooling at night.

Couples here like to write love message on locks and locked it at N Seoul Tower, I suppose symbolizing everlasting love?  Well, I came prepared and brought my own heart-shaped lock there.  Dun worry if you forget, the shop there also sells very nice locks but of coz more expensive lah. Think about KW10000 +/-.

N Seoul Tower
Direction: 1-3 Yongsandong 2(i)-ga, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea 
Website: nseoultower.co.kr 
Cable Car: KW8000 (round trip) for adults

View Larger Map


There are also many push-carts food stalls at Myeongdong, when it's not raining.  The one in my picture was just egg sponge cake with hard boiled egg inside, pretty normal lah. Oh ya, beside food, there are also accessories & clothing push carts, look out for those and you can buy earrings for as low as KW1,000 each!


Grilled beef at Wangbijib


Direction: Myeongdong Station, Exit 9 >> Go straight and turn left (refer map below, beside Hazzys)

The grilled beef was really good here, we came here twice even though the price was not cheap. You can choose to go ala carte or set meal, but personally, we think the set meal was more worthwhile.  

For KW65,000, we got the premium beef sirloin, beef belly, 2 bowls of banquet noodles (choose from cold spicy or warm soupy) and of coz came with the side dishes.  There are other grill places which sell grilled beef at cheaper price, but notice it is beef ribs and not beef sirloin, which explains the price difference. 

The service here was good also, the waitress will help you to grill, making sure you dun overcook the meat and wasted it lah. And I must say, she did a good job to make sure the meat juice was well retained.  The banquet noodles was another must order. Although I dun take spicy food, but the cold spicy noodles was really shiok while the soup one was tasty with no frills.

Browse the price list here, I think the prices listed on the website not quite updated but close enough for you to gauge.

Wangbijib
Address: 63-3 Chungmuro 2(i)-ga (26 Myeongdong 8ga-gil) (above BeautiPlex)
Website: www.wangbijib.com




I have made marking on the map above
Pt 1: Go Gung
Pt 2: Wangbijib


Direction: Myeongdong Station, Exit  9. Go straight and turn right. Look out for the blue protruding label, Go Gung is on the second floor. 

A rather atas place to eat bibimbap, good ambiance and pricing was still reasonable (approximately KW10,000+).

Go-Gung
Address: 11-1 Chungmuro 2-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul
Website: www.gogung.co.kr


View Larger Map


We randomly went to this restaurant for ginseng chicken (samgyetang) which was just round the corner near the hotel.  I would say the ginseng chicken not impressive but then, a lot of local went there, so I guess just different taste bud. On the other hand, the chicken pancake (the red stuff in the picture) was more interesting, which we were supposed to wrap with the lettuce to eat together. 


Ms Lee Cafe was just opposite our hotel.  It seems to be a place more for desserts and coffee, rather than dining. So we went, browsed the menu, didnt find anything we wanna eat and left. Ha..


Abalone porridge for me and mushroom stew for hubby. Just a quick meal, hastily settled near the hotel again(beside Ms Lee Cafe) as we were rushing to go for more shopping! =p

Yeoudio

Yeouido Park

Direction: Take subway to  National Assembly Bldg Station, Exit 2 and walk straight till you see the park entrance.

This is a super duper big park. So I guess if there's no cherry blossom, basically nothing much to see here unless you like parks and bird/people watching bah.  We were lucky to catch some glimpse of the withering blossom even though it was already end april. My third country to see cherry blossom! =p


Ehwa Woman Univ

Shops at Ehwa Woman Univ. Area 
(Ewha Womans Univ Station, Exit 2)


Direction: Take subway to  Ewha Womans Univ Station, Exit 2 and walk towards the university. 

I came here twice and bought dresses and shoes. I think the selection here is more unique and trendy.  Oh well, for the boyfriends/husbands accompanying the girlfriends/wives, the plus point is of coz the proximity to the Ehwa University - meaning lotza young gals. There is also APM mall here which I never go since I went to the one at Dongdaemum.

Heard from my fren that Spur (the shoe shop) is now at Plaza Singapure. Check it out! 

To be continued...... ^_* 

Like Fun-Hideout Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram to get quicker updates of Fun-Hideout and you can leave comment there too!  ♥ ♥ ♥ 

69 comments:

Unknown said...

can i have your korea itinerary. I'm planning to go on march next year. U can email to me richard_khoon@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Cheers,
Richard

Unknown said...

Appreciate if you can send me your korea itinerary. I'm planning to go on March.
Richard_khoon@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Cheers,
Richard

Unknown said...

Hi

I find your korea itinerary quite interesting.

Im planning a trip to korea next Apr.

If you dont mind, are you able to forward me a copy of your itinerary?

You can email me at joeong5000@gmail.com

Thank you
Cheers!
Joe

Unknown said...

Hi Richard & Joe,

Itinerary sent, please check your mail box. Let me know if you nv rec ya?

Happy holidays!

Kristy said...

Hi Ashely,

I am planning for a Korea trip as well, will be grateful if you could also send me a copy of your itinerary.

" To: Kristyqq1@gmail.com "

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year!! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kristy dearest,

Itinerary sent and have a good trip! Happy new year to you too!

MINNNN said...

Hi!

Am planning a trip to korea this coming March! Would you be able to share your itinerary?

Thanks in advance! (:

shugarspice@live.com.sg

Unknown said...

Itinerary sent! =)

Elora said...

Hello, Ashley. I'm planning to visit Korea and Jeju this coming June. Can I have a copy of your itinerary too?
my email is elora_low@hotmail.com. Thank you so much! Your blog is so helpful!

Unknown said...

Hi Elora,

Please check your mailbox and have a good holiday!

Argg...I wish I'm going soon... =p

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so useful. Can send to kailing1112@hotmail.com. Going in 2weeks time still yet to plan.... Tia!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi hi, your blog is so useful. Can send to kailing1112@hotmail.com... Tia

Anonymous said...

can i have your itinerary? my email is xiao_p1g@yahoo.com.sg

thanks!
gina

Anonymous said...

Hello! Found your blog while finding info on Seoul. I'm travelling in Apr to Jeju and Seoul for 9 days together with my aunties and grandmother. Was wondering if you can share your itinerary with me too? Can email to jerlynzz@gmail.com. Thanks!

BTW, the rates from Mr Won for Jeju has gone up! he quoted me 200,000krw for 5 pax per day! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Connie and Jerlyn, itinerary sent. Please check your mailbox!

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi babe,

i found your blog while doing some research for my Korea trip this November.

will be grateful if you could also send me a copy of your itinerary.

kimmiesyedalwee@gmail.com

thanks love!
Kim

Unknown said...

hi can i have your itinerary too?
kimmiesyedalwee@gmail.com

thanks love!
Kim

Ting said...

Hello Ashley!

I am intending to visit Korea in August and I happened to chance upon your blog while researching. Would it be possible for you to share your itinerary with me? My email is greenbluewhiteblack@hotmail.com

Thank you so much!

lovelynicole said...

Hi!

i am planning a trip to seoul and jeju this coming April! Would you be able to share your itinerary?

Thanks in advance! (:

swiftysweet@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hihi, can I have a copy of your itinerary too? I am going Korea this June and your blog is so helpful!

My email is tonghks@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot!

Sharon

Shi Ling said...

Hello Ashley~

I was researching about Korea and happen to discover your blog.
It was really informative and helpful!! Great job!
Was thinking if you could email your itinerary to me?

shiling208@hotmail.com

Appreciate it much =D
Thank you ~

Anonymous said...

Hello Ashley!

Found your blog very informative and helpful!

Can you email your itineray to me?
My email add is shiling208@hotmail.com

Thanks lots!
Shi Ling

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear,

I am going to Korea on Mar 28 - April 14, appreciate if you send me your itinerary! Thank you! :)

lijunw@ymail.com

Xoxo,
Lijun

Unknown said...

Dear all,

I have sent you the itinerary, pls check your email ya? Sorry for the delay! =p

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I have your itinerary. My email is leong_1982@hotmail.com.
Thank you!!

Yoon said...

Hi, Ashley,

I am planning to visit Seoul and Jeju in August.. Ur blog was useful to me.. Btw, can u send me ur itinerary to me, tshiyun91@gmail.com

Thanks^^
Yoon

Unknown said...

Hi Leong & Yoon,

Itinerary sent! Enjoy your trip!

Sindy said...

Hi can I have your itinerary? My email address is sindywong@yahoo.com. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, would love to get a copy of your itinerary please. Also, is Hotel Metro close to the main street? i.e. will it be safe to walk around that area in late night?

rainbowsmilezzz@gmail.com

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Hi gals,

Sent liao hor. Have fun shopping in Korea, the trick is dont buy everything in 1 go, split into multiple buys to get more free samples! And go to different outlets coz the free gifts will be different.

*palm face* I'm so gia beng... =p

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

I am going to visit Busan, Jeju and Seoul in April. Can you send me a copy of your itinerary? My email is styap88@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi Ashely,
I going on May, very interesting reading ur input, will be appreciate if u could send me ur literary to my email frederick1988@hotmail.com
Many thanks. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Can i have ur schedule ?

email to carevern1991@yahoo.com.sg


thanks =)

Anonymous said...

hi can u pls send me ur itinerary too? my email add is aliciasekaran@gmail.com
Thanks!

jacekang said...

Hi can I have ur itinerary too=)
Xjgirl19@hotmail.com
Thank you

Unknown said...

Hi Ashley,can u send me ur itinerary to meisquare88@gmail.com...thk alot :)

Unknown said...

Hi Jace and Huimin, itinerary sent! Pls check your mailbox! Have a good trip!

Anonymous said...

Can email me your itineary at:

carrotkek@gmail.com

I am trying to convince my children to take me there and so need to be prepared what's there to do and see.
Hope to receive it by this week.
Thanks in advance.

Desmond said...

Hi,

Would really appreciate if you could send me your Korea itinerary!

Regards

Unknown said...

Hi Desmond,

Please give me your email address.

Cheers,
ash

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

Your itinerary is interesting. can you send me your Korea Itinerary.

alwenlim0630@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Alwen

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley

I would like to request for your Korea Itinerary ..

really appreciate ^^

my email address is twinnklestar@hotmail.com

Thanks ^^

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley

I Would like to request your Korea itinerary..

Really appreciate ^^

my email address :twinnklestar@hotmai.com

thank you ^^

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I have your seoul itinerary. My friends and I are going to seoul on 6th june.
my email is hsuehsally@gmail.com

Thank you very much.

Unknown said...

Kindly email me your korea itinerary to jovislim007@gmail.com.

Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi, can I have your itinerary?
My email is michelau88@gmail.com.
Thank you!!

Lingzhi said...

Hi dear, I just came across your blog and it's really informative!! Thank you for sharing with everyone on your trip and tips :)

May I request for your full Korea itinerary as I'm travelling to Jeju, Busan and Seoul soon heh.

My email add: Lingzhi_123@hotmail.com

Thank you so much and appreciate it!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
your blog was very interesting and seems very detailed. I am planing to travel to Lorea this Nov, canplease forward me your itinerary? felicialimkl@hotmail.com Thank you so much

regards
felicia

Anonymous said...

Cld I have your Korea trip's itinerary. My email is lewischan2009@hotmail.com. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am planning to go Korea in November.
Please forward a copy of your itinerary to my email: sharonleepptw@yahoo.com.tw

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi , can i have your itinerary also ?
loh_qiaohan@hotmail.com

I'm reading through ur blog and some place that i really in my list

TQ very much ^^

hannah

Unknown said...

Dear all,

Itinerary sent! Pls check your mailbox =)

Anonymous said...

Dear Ashley, thanks for the very informative write up! can I have the itinerary too? Thanks ;)
waisookling@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Can i have yr itineary? Pls email me at l-iting@hotmail.com

Thank you!

cangkf said...

Appreciate if you can send me your korea itinerary. I'm planning to go on October.

Please email to cangkf@gmail.com.

Thank you very much.

Unknown said...

Hi

I am planning to go Korea in November.
Can u Please forward a copy of your itinerary to my email: ti_libby@yahoo.com

Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley
Your seoul/jeju blog is very good, I am heading for the same
destination this Nov.
Will be grateful if you could also send me a copy of your itinerary.

tyarkj@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can i have your itinerary. Pls send to Lawsta2@hotmail.com. Also can give the contact of Mr Won.

Any more photos and tips on where to shop in korea?

Unknown said...

Hi, your blog is very informative. May I have a copy of your itinerary? yeoh409@gmail.com. Tqvm

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

Can I have a copy of your itinerary please? My email is joanne.lhs@hotmail.com

Many thanks in advance!

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy & Joanne,

Itinerary sent! Pls check your mailbox.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Ashley

syurgacinta said...

Hi Ashley,

Can I have a copy of your itinerary please? My email is ct.noraisyah85@gmail.com

jenna said...

Hi , can I have a copy of ur itinerary?
My email is peipeichong90@gmail.com

Su said...

Hi this is Su here, may I have your itinerary as reference please? My email is Leeamandafaith@live.com
Thank you!

sukiwen said...

Hi, can I have a copy of your itinerary because I'm planning to visit Korea next year. Here's my email : sukiwen96@gmail.com
Thank you :)
-Suki-

Unknown said...

Hi Suki,

You got a mail! Wow, you are really planning early..keke. I'm visitng Seoul again this april/may 15, so drop me an email if you want a copy of the new itinerary. =)

justin said...

hi blogger , will be going during the autumn period ... i am from sg too and will be staying in metro hotel too ^.^ would appreciate that u can send me ur itinerary thanks <3
my email : JustinLKX@gmail.com

ur help is greatly appreciated

Anonymous said...

I visiting seoul.

Can I have a copy of your itinerary ?

leow_cy@yahoo.com.sg

Thanks alot

Darren said...

Hi, I enjoyed reading your post and will be visiting Seoul soon. Could I have a copy of your itinerary too?

Email: darren8989@hotmail.com

Thank You !