Finally ..... HK Food!

3:54:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

Surprise, surprise... Why was I not impressed by the food in Hongkong. Before reaching HK, I was already imagining all the very delicious food that I would be having there. I actually worried about putting on weight! Alas, but all were just my imagination. I suppose Singapore has all kind of cuisine and being a die-hard food fan, I have been eating around and a lot. It seems harder and harder to truly satisfy my stomach.

10 years ago when I was there with my friends, we were just poor students hence we cannot afford expensive restaurants. Instead, we would just settle for any normal cafes or small shops on the way. In my memory, all the food tasted fantastic. Yes, even the fish porridge cooked by the uncle in singlet in a small little shop. The fish was skillfully sliced into thin pieces, raw and instantaneously cooked by pouring in the hot porridge.

But my 2nd trip to HK 10 years later somehow turned out to be kinda disappointing. Dun let me influence you! HK is still the paradise for delicacies... Just that be a more skeptical lo.. Ask around the locals, see the crowds etc Dun anyhow walk into a place, thinking that it's must be good!

Our first meal in HK was done rather hasty at some cafe along a small street as it was already quite late by the time we checked in to the hotel. It looked actually like those traditional HK cafe in the drama shows. Crowded, small, and noisy ( shouting by the waiters). Anyway, we were too tired to look around for good food, so "no fish, prawn also good" lor...


Dad's order => Fried Rice

Mum's order => Chicken Porridge

Sis's order => Dumpling noodles


My order => Beef Noodles


We all agreed that other than the fried rice was nice, the rest was kinda so-so. From the pictures, the dishes did not look appetizing as well huh?


*********

One thing good about HK, it is relatively easy to find food anywhere, as long as you are not too fussy. =p

This cafe was just right across the street opposite my hotel. Good for some light snacks whenever we felt like it.

Almond Milk

Century Egg Porridge

You Tiao

Ji Cheong Fan Wrapped You Tiao


I liked the ji cheong fan best! The texture was like mochi, loved the "stickiness", really nice. The standalone you tiao was not so good though, tasted too much of used oil. But my dad still managed to finish it off, on top of his porridge... Thumbs up!


*********

This was the famous dessert shop in HK, easily found everywhere. So ended up we went to the dessert outlet everyday. Keke



Specially-made table with drawers to keep the forks, spoons & napkins. How convenient!

Mango Spread! Yum Yum

Fried Carrot Cake

Herbal Jelly


Egg White with Bird Nest



Green Bean Soup

What can I say? All are very nice, especially those with mango! The mango were all sweet, unlike those served in Singapore...

*********

These were breakfast & lunch that we had when we went for our half day tour. Well my advice, if you are joining those half day tour, dun join their meals unless the meals are already inclusive in the package price.

To save the trouble, we paid extra money for the meals which were not very impressive. =(

Dim Sum Breakfast







Chinese Lunch




*********

This was the best meal that we had in HK, despite some service hiccups. Haha... Well the food were great and most importantly, we paid only S$20+ for 4 adults.

It was kinda difficult to get their attention and to communicate, but we managed to order some decent food. Haha...

The restaurant was having a promotion then, so we can order the abalone porridge at HK$1 each ( limited to 1 serving per pax). It was really delicious, and to get that for just S$0.20, where to find such good deal?

The other dim sum that we ordered:

Wanton

The skin was really crispy, my 4 yrs old niece liked it!


Deep Fried Prawn Dumplings

Pumpkin Balls

I never eaten this in Singapore, it was quite nice, especially for people who like sweet stuff!


Siew Mai

Erm, this was kinda different from the normal siew mai that we ate... But who cares about the appearance as long as the food tasted good. ^_^


Egg White Tarts

Kinda unique compared to the normal egg tarts that we usually eat. Nice & healthier! Aiya, no egg yolk mah... less cholesterol ...

Oh, by the way, the restaurant is called 煌城

*********




This was some roadside sweet snack that we tried.


*********

We went to Victoria Peak to dine while waiting for the sun to set. But please be mentally prepared to burn a hole in your packet, coz most of them are not cheap. We spent close to S$200 lor!


My niece & her Kid Meal ( Nuggets with Fries)


Steak with Mash Potato

Club Sandwich



Fried Noodles with Duck Meat


Fillet with Fries

The food here was not too bad, and the serving were really huge. I guess if you wanna save some money, perhaps it's a wise choice to share the food among your group, rather than 1 serving each. Haha...

********

This was where we had our breakfast buffet at Hollywood hotel. Very chirpy setting indeed.



My niece behind a chair

Breakfast buffet was the normal spread, toast, dim sum, noodles, bacon, etc But I just cant help myself with these cute little Mickey-shaped waffles!

*******

With that, I shall end off my HK trip photos... haha. I promise... NO MORE HK photos liao! It's getting a bit boring hor....

Will be doing my food reviews soon, so be sure to come back again!

0 comments: