Straits Cafe @ Rendezvous

10:55:00 PM Unknown 2 Comments

Hopping Mad!

First time in my 20 odd years ( Ha, you thought that I was going to reveal my age? Fat chance lor, I may be angry but I'm still cautious!! =p) of dining experience, I was DISALLOWED to take pictures!

And it happened here at Straits Cafe,Hotel Rendezvous.

* casted a despised look *

CHEYyYYYYYYYYyyyyy to the speed of lightning! Such a small cafe, so YA YA PAPAYA for what???

I visited from big hotels to small cafes to dine and take photo of the food, so far there wasn't any problems. What was so "confidential" about the food in the Straits Cafe anyway?? I'm blogging here without getting any payment, instead of being grateful to me, the staff actually stopped me??

KNS... -___-"

So dun blame me if the photo dun turn out appealing. Dun be mistaken, I am not saying that they were appetizing. But the eyes sometime can convince or rather trick the mind, which in turn confuse the taste bud. Who can resist drooling when exposed to well-presented food by means of well-taken photos.....

* cleared throat *

For example,by someone like me?

And not to forget, the POWER OF WWW ( said with a very low deep tone). It can influence a lot of people one, you know???

KENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SAI again -___-"

For the benefit of the ang mo or rather english-speaking audience, KNS just mean " SHIT". Harmless lah, dun worry. I'm not cursing alien language. More passionate if I use localized term, I'm true-blue Singaporean... " We, the citizen of Singapore, pledged ourselves ..... "

********

Okay, back to the cafe. Nothing much to see, I cant take many photos ( even though I want to ), so you see see lor, try your best to judge for yourself whether the spread is good enuff for you...




Seafood Spread ( Mussel, Prawn, Jap Sotong)

Well, these were the 2 pathetic pictures I managed to take before I was kenak stopped.

Mankind, so easily hostile when I was just being good natured. Why couldnt they just appreciate my goodwill?? Haiz.... Dun wanna say further lah...

Guess what was the filling??

At first, I thought they were soon kuehs. But when I sunk my bug bunny teeth and took one big bite, I almost phewed! Kao, CHIVES! Hate it lor, together with all the other yucky stuff like onions, garlic etc.

Before I go on, I must pre warn every of you out there... The pictures were terrible, with different kinds of food piled together in one plate. I'm totally disgusted by my "constraints", I'm like a painter not given a paint brush, a chef without the wok....

Well, you dun expect me to take 1 item back to my seat, arrange nicely, take a picture, eat it and then repeat the whole cycle again?? I must be crazy to do that! Did I mention that it was a high-tea buffet, so I only had 2 hours to eat all I can??


Assortment

More Assortment

More More Assortment


All piled together, of coz more assortment. Otherwise?? I couldnt find a more appropriate names for the above 3 photos... =p

In summary for the above 3 photos, most of the items were local dishes such as Hokkien prawn mee, dim sum, fried chicken, dumpling, porridge etc. Nothing in particular exciting, although the prawn mee was not too bad. In my opinion, best among all the other dishes.

Soba with Unagi


Plain Soba


Sushi


Salmon Sashimi


The soba was served in tiny bowls. Not a bad idea for people like me who just wanna try the taste. Who wanna eat one big bowl of soba and then end up too full for other things in a buffet? Too bad for those who eat a lot though. You try to take the whole tray lor... HAHAHAHH

The sushi sucked. Even those sold at the supermarket counters tasted better. The rice was not the sticky Japaneses rice, or rather didnt taste like it. The rice was hard, tasted like rice grains instead. It was so bad that I spitted out the rice and just ate the filling.

Sashimi tasted okay, but dun seem too fresh. Coz the chef had already pre-cut the sashimi and placed them in fridge. He would just take out the plates of sashimi and distributed to the customers. By so, it gave the idea that the sashimi was not fresh. Failed in presentation lah.



Popiah

Laska Yong Tau Foo

The popiah was okay, DIY style whereby you would choose the ingredient yourself. Yong Tau Foo selection was casually laid out on a big banana leaf. Not much choices, and a bit messy.

My stomach had not been feeling well earlier on, so I wanted clear soup with my yong tau foo. Instead, the chef gave me laska soup base instead.... * Rolled eyes* Obviously, I dint finish my food again.



Scones & Sandwiches

Bread & croissants were available, you just had to top up with your preferred choice of fillings of either egg mayo or tuna. Scones were okay, though not as good as those offered at The Atrium. Kinda harder..






Assorted Desserts

In fact, I had covered most of the available desserts. They had jellies, durian cake & puff, nonya kuehs, some cakes selection like chocolate cake, pandan cake etc.


********

Put aside my personal "grudges", the cafe does offer more ranges compared to other high tea buffet. In fact, it looks more like a normal lunch buffet. But if you are looking for tai tai high tea spread like cute little cakes and pastries, forget about this place.

Tip: Since the high tea buffet offers, not just small bites. Why not combine your 2 meals ( late lunch + early dinner) into 1?

But again, to spend $30 - $40 on cheap stuffs like popiah, hokkien mee, laska etc dun seem too worthwhile to me. Hmmm....


STRAITS CAFE
Venue: 9 Bra Basah Road, Hotel Rendezvous
Breakfast: 7am to 10.30am
Lunch: 12pm to 2.30pm
Hi-Tea: 3pm to 5.30pm (Sat/Sun/PH) ~ $32++
Dinner: 6.30pm - 10pm
Contact: 6336 0220/6335 1777

Like Fun-Hideout Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram to get quicker updates of Fun-Hideout and you can leave comment there too!  ♥ ♥ ♥ 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I perfectly understood how you felt as i was also stopped by the staff at Sakura Buffet restaurant (Orchard branch) while taking pics of their buffet layout.

The manager actually said it out quite loudly (not shouting though) HELLO! NO SNAPPING PHOTOS PLEASE!

Other people looking at me as if im some kind of terrorist....sigh

Unknown said...

Ah... finally, a 知音!