HK Food Galore!

11:08:00 PM Unknown 16 Comments

My HK trip started off with a good meal on Pacific Cathay flight. It would have been better if it was served in normal dinner timing, instead of 2am in the morning. Therefore, I shared the meal with my fren instead. Simply cant resist coz the stewed chicken rice smelt so good! Haha

And that precisely why we felt hungry after we reached HK and settled our check-in.  So, off we went for our first spot for dim sum ~ Banyan Garden @ Wesley Hotel  



Location: Wesley Hotel, 22 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai

The Wesley Hotel was a walking distance from our hotel (Wharney Guang Dong HK), somewhere between Wan Chai MTR and  Admiralty MTR.


Abalone Porridge

The porridge was nice ~ typical HK style which is thick and sweet. But somehow the abalone  ( the brownish thingy that I had scooped out) tasted fake with a chewy texture. Given that the pricing was low, I guess they wont be using real abalone. Nevertheless, the porridge was good, no complaints!


Cha Siu Bao (BBQ Pork Bun) & Chee Cheong Fun with Prawn Stuffing (Rice Roll)


Fried Dumpling

The total price for the above was about HK 84 (~ S$14) for 2 pax. Pretty okay huh? =)

Lunch for Day 1 was just sandwich at Horizon Plaza, coz there are no restaurants in the building, only cafes =(  If you have gastric problems, remember to bring some food along with you. Otherwise, you have to settle for sandwich like us lor.



Before we went back hotel for a nap after our shopping at Ap Lei Chau, we bought some cakes at Mei Xin. Ya lor, we were too exhausted after the wee hours flight, that we went back hotel in the noon to take a nap! Kinda waste of shopping time, but at least we felt recharge after the nap. It was the first time that I took a nap on a holiday trip! Keke

Mei Xin is actually a breakfast outlet, dint know that it has bakery as well and you can almost spot it anywhere, mostly near MTR. The cake cost HK10 (~S$1+) each, good for a quick munch.

Dinner was settled at Chee Kee, which is famous for its Wonton Noodle Soup. 


Location: 84 Percival Street, Causeway Bay

It also has a few outlets in HK. In fact, we went to the one at Tsim Sha Tsui instead of the outlet at Causeway Bay, as it was on our way to Granville road for shopping.




It cost HK59 (~$10) for a bowl of porridge, a side dish and a barley drink. Worth it!

The porridge was damn good, with lotza of ingredients. The barley drink is also a must try if you like ginger though, coz they brewed the barley with ginger, a very different barley drink.


On Day 3 lunch, we tried the wonton noodle soup, which I think not nice. The noodles was very hard, and the soup tasted like they had poured a bottle of pepper in it. I much preferred the porridge to the wonton noodle soup. Even though, I saw a lot of the locals eating the wonton noodle. *Shrugged*

When you are at HK, it's like a must to try the famous 许留山 Hui Lao Shan. There is no need for me to specific the address since this is found everywhere. Keke


The desserts here are mostly mango based, great for mango lovers. Fret not for non-mango eaters, it also has other stuff like carrot cake, red bean soup etc.

*********

We went Honolulu Coffee Shop for Day 2 breakfast.


Location: 176-178 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai (Located right beside the Wan Chai MTR)


Almond Milk Tea + Egg Tarts (HK $28)


Maggie Mee + Fried Egg + Bun + Milk Tea set (HK $26)

Quite a spread for breakfast, and just cost us about S$9!

This place is famous for its egg tarts, so it's a must order. The egg tarts were nice, although a tad sweet. I'm okay with the sweetness but my fren find it too sweet. We adored the plain bun too, with a tinge of sweetness, just like those buns we used to find in traditional confectionery. =)

For dinner,  we  decided to splurge  on one good meal ~ seafood dinner @ Rainbow Seafood restaurant after our Ngong Ping excursion. 


Location: G/F, 23-25 First Street, Sok Kwu Wan, Lamma Island

Note: Rainbow is one of the winning restaurants in the Best of the Best Culinary Awards, an open culinary competition organised by the Hong Kong Tourism Board. The restaurant also offers diners a free shuttle ferry service. Customers can enjoy this service by making a reservation over the telephone (Tel: 2982 8100)

The restaurant is right beside the pier, so as long as you have taken the right boat (Sok Kwu Wan), or the shuttle ferry, there wont be any problem spotting for this restaurant.



Corn & crab meat soup


Prawns


Scallop with cheese

We spent S$62 on the 3 dishes above plus another vegetable dish. Hmmm, expensive hor?

I guess we are staying in Singapore where we are accessible to good seafood, or even Malaysia where seafood is pretty cheap, I find that the seafood in HK is only passable. The service was good, servings were generous but foodwise was only okay, and the pricing didnt justify the quality. Maybe I'm too critical. 

On the good side, the experience of having seafood on outlying islands was quite good, a very relaxing ambiance while you enjoy the food watching sunset along the pier. If you have the time to spare, you may try trekking from the other pier Yung Shue Wan to Sok Kwu Wan, and end off the day with a seafood dinner.

********

Breakfast on Day 3 was at Golden Federal Restaurant ~ a dim sum place recommended by my colleague.

Location: 8/F, Wing On Kowloon Centre, 345 Nathan Road (Jordan MTR)


Porridge + Green Bean Soup

Yes, we are never tired of HK porridges! They are simply too nice! Top it off with the crackers, they are heavenly. Yum Yum!


Siew Mai + Ha Gou (prawn dumpling) + Custard Bun + Cha Siew Bao


Chee Cheong Fun

The dim sum here was good! We got ourselves too excited over the menu and ended up over-ordering. Heng, they allowed us to tabao. Saved the buns for lunch, still good even though they had turned cold.

I particularly liked the custard buns, one of my favourite dim sum dish! Must try okay? Hehe





Dessert today was Yee Shun Milk Company. Again, it has a few outlets but I went to the one at Causeway Bay, which is nearby the station / Sogo. 

I ordered the 招牌 aka milk pudding (cost HK$38, ~ S$6). This will probably appeal only to dairy product lovers coz it tasted super milky! Over-dosage of milk man! Keke

We must tried the roast meat for the last dinner in HK! We went Joy Hing Food Shop, which was located in Wan Chai where we were staying and supposed to be quite good.


Location: Block C, 265-267 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai

It was pretty far from the Wan Chai MTR, by then we were dead tired and super hungry.


Without thinking much, we ordered the 3 mix (roast duck, roast chicken + bbq pork), recommended by the lady boss. Cost us HK$34 ( ~S$6) for a plate. Quite decent price. I liked the garlic/spring onions topping which goes very well with the rice. The meat itself I would say passable, doesnt really wow me.

Still, I think the locals love it coz it was crowded at 9pm plus lor..

********



Bought some munch at the airport while waiting for our flight back to Singapore. Surprisingly, the plain looking bun was quite good. It was crispy with condensed milk on top. I forgot to jot down the price but I think it was about HK18 for the 2 buns.

********

Bought the following snacks back to Singapore...






Homemade cookie: Jenny Bakery

Location: http://www.jennybakery.com

This was recommended by my fren's colleague, selling homemade cookies. The cookies are so fragrant that you can practically smell it without opening the lid. The cookies are fluffy and buttery, simply melts in the mouth. What's more, it comes with cute teddy bear box for keeping sake! Highly recommended! ^_^

Wife Biscuits: Yuan Lang Lo Po Bin

Locations: Sogo Basement 1, Hang Heung Cake Shop, MTR Causeway Bay exit D

A must buy for me when I go to HK. Sucker for wife biscuits. Keke. And you can never fake me with other brands, I only eat Yuan Lang one! The best!

It was not easy to locate the pastry counter coz the basement was packed with all sorts of items. Try to ask for Hang Heung Cake Shop if you cant locate it.

********

Ok ppl, there's all from my 4D3N in HK! Hope you enjoy it!

For those who are interested in my itinerary (with attached map), please leave a comment with your email (Bonus: you will be included automatically in my mailing list for updates as well). =)

Like Fun-Hideout Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram to get quicker updates of Fun-Hideout and you can leave comment there too!  ♥ ♥ ♥ 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

Chanced upon your blog while googling for information on Hongkong. It is very detailed and I have enjoyed reading your posts. I would love to have your itinerary to plan my trip. Appreciate if you could forward it to me: nylecoj87@hotmail.com

Thank you very much!

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I just sent the itinerary to your mailbox (nyxxxxx@hotmail.com).

If you never receive, let me know and I will resend. =)

Rgd,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Your post is very interesting! Just wondering which hotel you stayed at? Could you also send your itinerary to me for reference too? Thanks! U0402711@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi,

Sent the itinerary to your email!

hi there, do you mind emailing me your itinerary please?

Thank you so much:)

kindai_88@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Done, babe!

Pls check your mailbox. =)

Anonymous said...

Hi, great blogging on this. Could u send me ur itinery too? And can u advise me how much is the wife biscuit?? Thank u so much:)

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I have ur itinerary too?

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous-s,


Such a weird way to address people, maybe next time you can leave your names? Keke

Btw, I will need your email address to send you all the itinerary.

As for the price of the wife biscuit, I cant really remember but it is not really that expensive. I always go for this brand, coz I dun like those pre-packed kind sold at airport. Dunno for others, but I can tell the difference in taste.

xoxo,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

Forgot to left you with my e mail.
keehl610@hotmail.com Thank you so much for the great information.


huiling:)

Unknown said...

Hi Huiling,

Itinerary sent! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi can you email me too??? Tks!!!!:)

Anonymous said...

My email is michelleloh_1982@hotmail.com... Thanks alot!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi michelle,

Itinerary sent!

Hope you enjoy ur trip!

吃东西,买东西!

Anonymous said...

hi,

mind sending me your itinerary too to pky736@yahoo.com


thank u

Unknown said...

Hi,

Itinerary sent! Please check!