Royal China @ Raffles Hotel

12:51:00 PM Unknown 4 Comments

If you are looking for a dim sum resturant to impress your future in-laws, Royal China is probably one of your best choice! It has the food quality, the posh environment and a good service. You name it, you got it! ^_^

ROYAL CHINA
Venue: Raffles Hotel
Contact: 6338 3363

********


Inside Royal Place

The place is not exactly big, but it's comfortable. I particularly like its posh setting in its blue and white simplicity. This is definitely a contrast to the traditional dim sum Chinese restaurants which are usually in red and probably come with dragons pillars.

You cant find rowdiness, as everyone dine in class here. Again, something different from traditional Chinese restaurants where waiters shout to the kitchen, or customers chatting away over the little small things, sometimes a tad too loud. It's totally a different ambiance, so it's all up to your own preference.
I dun really know what are the specialties here, being my first time here, so we just randomly picked a few...
Century Egg Porridge - $5

The porridge was the typical Cantonese style, thick and rich with so much sweetness that I was suspecting that the chef had secretly threw in rock sugar! Haha

At $5, the portion was generous, probably sufficient to share with 2 or 3 pax. Well, you dun want to miss out other goodies by stuffing your stomach with porridge, rite?
Barbequed Pork Puffs - $5.60 ( 4pcs)

Before I go on, most of the dim sums come in 3 pcs. Then again, you can just tell the staff that you need more to suit your group size and you will be charge accordingly. In my case, we had 4 pax, so by doing so, we dun have to order 2 plates of 3 pcs. Thumbs up for the flexibility.

Ok, back to the food!

The puff was soft and flaky, which easily broke apart when you bite into it, revealing the sweet cha siew. Nice one!
Barbequed Pork Buns - $4.80 ( 4pcs)

I'm a sucker for Cha Siew Bao aka barbequed pork buns! I especially like the bao itself, which was really soft and came with a tad of sweetness. Totally a different story from the factory-made bao sold at the kopitiam. If it is not that filling, I probably finish one basket myself... hehe
Royal Cheong Fun ( Mixture) - $4.80

This was a mixture of cheong fun with different fillings ~ Prawns, cha siew and I forgot what was it... This was pretty standard, no misses but not exceptional as well.

Oh ya, if you have a particular interest on one of the filling, they do sell separately as well.
Yam Rolls - $6.40 ( 4pcs)

This was scallop wrapped in yam paste. It was passable to me since I am no fan of yam rolls, yam ring, watever yam except for o-ni. And also I find it slightly salty... I probably wont go for this again in my next visit.
Egg Tarts - $3.60 (3 pcs)

I almost forgotten to order my favourite - Egg tarts! That explained the "poor presentation" of egg tarts in plastic box. Die die also must eat so we tao bao! Keke

They were really cute and tiny, can pop right into the mouth! But then, I kinda prefer portugese kind of egg tarts e.g. those selling in KFC, with a bit of caramelization on the egg custard.
Custard Bun - $5.60 ( 4 pcs)

This is a must-order if you adore custard bun. The custard was mixed with salty egg yolk, which helped to heighten the flavour. Different from the custard bun I tried elsewhere, and definitely a pleasant surprise. Even my bf who is not a fan of custard bun, said that it was quite good.
Fried Salmon - $8

This was the day special, and so we decided to give it a try. Aiya, coz it was our treat for my bf's parents, must "act generous" mah and so happened the waitress recommended this, so we "readily" said yes lor..

It was really normal and probably can give it a miss. Take my advice, stick to the dim sum menu. =p
Peking Duck (half) - $33

The peking duck was okay, but I prefer the one at Asia Grand. They used wanton skin here which was a bit too thick in comparsion to the thin duck skin. On the other hand, Asia Grand uses thin egg crepe skin, which tasted much better. At least, it wont steal the "limelight" from the main ingredient, i.e. the duck skin.

The duck skin itself was crispy, and we were given caviar to go with it. Even though, I thought that the caviar was rather tasteless... Haha, I dunno how to appreciate lah..
Fried Ee Mee - $10

Similiarly to other Chinese resturants, we were asked how we would like to cook the remaining duck meat, which obviously we had chosen fried ee mee. It was a good choice, coz it was very tasty and not salty at all.

*******

I knew I was full and I shouldnt be indulging myself with so much food, looking at my ever-growing waistline... But...please tell me...

Who Can Resist Desserts???

*
*
*
*
*

Ans from Readers: Me! Me 2! Me 3! ...... Me X!

>.<

Heh, dun bluff ok? Your nose will grow longer one...
Pumpin Puree with Coconut Ice-cream - $8

At first, I though this was rather a very weird combination. Pumpkin plus coconut, who will thought that they are really good buddies?? =)
Apple Grass Jelly - $8

Frankly speaking, I dun think this is worth $8, since ice jelly usually priced at most $2 in normal foodcourt? It was nice, and I liked the touch of adding cashew nuts. But hor, $8 for this was simply too expensive!

Almond Paste - $6

This was really yummy! Very smooth and the paste will glide down the throat effortlessly.. I will order this if I'm back here.

Erm, you cant see photo?

It's there lah... all white mah.. just imagine or just try it yourself! =p

Tea was at $2 per headcount and there was an appetizer which cost $8, and our total bill rounded up to about $142 for 4 pax. If you less away the peking duck and mee and desserts, it probably cost $20 per pax for dim sum. Not the cheapest option but consider the quality of the food, the ambience and the location, I guess it is justified.

Like Fun-Hideout Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram to get quicker updates of Fun-Hideout and you can leave comment there too!  ♥ ♥ ♥ 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds so yummy. I will go there with my in-laws tomorrow so thanks so much for the tips! Cheers. TN.

Unknown said...

Hi TN,

Hope you will like the food, coz I really enjoyed the food there.

If there are other nice dim sum, let me know, I will try them in my next visit! Hee hee.. :D

Anonymous said...

Hi, u went on dinner? is ala carte one right?

Unknown said...

Hi dear,

I went for a lunch instead and yup, it's ala carte. =)


Ash