Priority Seats

12:18:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

I was sitting on the priority seat, being the only available seat. I really got no choice as I was carrying, my heavy laptop to an offsite office. Haiz, I was seriously suspecting my lappy would put on weight with every step I took. Why cant it be shrinked to a size and weight ( of coz!) of a transit card and yet, be converted to a full size screen when I need to do my work? Shouldnt the "red fruit" be coming up with this practical electronic product rather than some pad? =p

Back to my journey, I was reading some serious email on my iphone, totally engrossed. Some family matters. And then I heard this knocking on the glass panel, and when I looked up, I saw a pregnant woman in front of me. Oh well, some granny taught that I was faking ignorance and was "anxiously" trying to get my attention. I stood up clumsily, dragging my laptop on the floor. At least, the pregnant lady mumbled a "thank you".

After a few stops, the pregnant lady stood up and another passenger took the priority seat. *Shrugged*

Then after a few stops, the guy sitting beside the priority seat alighted the train and I took his seat. Dunno is it a sign that I should be getting pregnant soon ( LOL), another pregnant lady stood in front of me. This time round, I stood up even though I was no longer taking the priority seat. I was secretly hoping for some applause but none came..

What's my point?

That I have affinity with pregnant ladies? Nah...........

My point is why am I being "judged" when I'm slower in doing the right thing and I'm not given the praises when I'm doing the right thing fast?

First of all, the "priority seat" concept is kinda dumb. It is not the first time that I witnessed people looking at the poor chap sitting at the priority seat to give up seat when they themselves can do it. There was even one occasion when I saw an uncle just pointed at the signboard and expected the person to stand up.

I thought the whole idea is to create awareness and kindness to the more needy ones aka the young, the elder, disabled and the pregnant women. But note, the gesture should not be taken as granted. Kindness should be both way.

In the economic sense, we all pay the same fare, if not more. Rightfully, I have the right to take a seat. And if I do give up my seat, I'm doing it out of kindness and not become I'm obliged to. In my case, I was carrying a laptop with all my working tools, and the burden was not much better compared to the weight of the growing baby. Going by the same logic, am I entitled to the priority seat so long I try to stuff my laptop and everything else on top of my belly?

How about the poor guy who just kenak fired and feeling really down? Is he not worthy of a seat?

And how about the girl who just broke up from a 7 years relationship? The last thing she wants is to be reprimanded for not giving up a seat.

LOL.. I'm kinda exaggerating here..

But ya, that's my point. Next time you want to stare at someone who is not giving up the priority seat, ask yourself, why not you give up your seat instead? Anyway, we are all trying to mould a good character and that is a good opportunity to reflect it.

And if you happen to fall in one of the 4 categories, do say thank you if someone gives up the seat for you. Remember, he/she doesnt need to and he/she may also need the seat badly. A thank you will be nice.. =)

0 comments: