Nepal ~ Mountain Trekking ~ Machapurna Base Camp

10:40:00 PM Unknown 2 Comments

How It Begins...

We were invited to join a group of 13 others to trek in Himalayans, Nepal. The initial plan was to trek to Everest Base Camp. However, as 2 of the team mates had went to Everest before, the plan was changed to trek to Annapurna, Machapurna Base Camp (MBC). 

Both trek will reach about 3000m height, however the latter trek will be physically more straining as we will need to scale up and down mountains from the start point at Pokhara, which is only standing 800+m. The Everest trek will have an "easier" way as we could have taken a domestic flight which will fly us up to 2000+m. However, it will also mean less time for acclimatization and therefore more prone to altitude sickness.  

Anyway to me, it doesnt really matter. Dun get me wrong, I'm not being disrespectful to Mt Everest. But for me, climbing a mountain alone itself is already a feat. And out from my own ignorance, I really cant tell which snowcapped mountain is which. 

And by definition from our Sherpa leader, only mountains that are snowcapped and above 6000m are considered mountains. Those that are below this 2 criteria couldnt be termed as one.Annapurna itself is also standing at 8000m, the 10th highest mountain in the world. Click here to read more about Annapurna

I was totally unprepared for the mountains. Looking at the simplified itinerary, it appeared rather easy ~ just a few hundred metres upward. Little did I know, it meant a few hundred metres down a slope and another few hundred metres up another slope to reach the destination of the day. This equaled to 6 - 7 hours of trekking everyday  which I will elaborate further later. 

And it was only when the trek finished, then we were told by the Sherpa leader that we were the first, or rather the rest of the team, was the first Singapore group to reach MBC within 5 days. Usually, it takes around 6 or 7 days or so. 

How It Ends..

As I sat in the Silkair plane, looking at the mountain peaks above the clouds and bidding the mountains farewell, I told myself that I will appreciate the little things more. 

I came home tired, sore throat due to dryness of the air, diarrhoea just before the day of coming home ( in fact, I was thankful that the diarrhoea did not happen in the mountains) , little red spots all over my body ( probably due to the unhygiene condition and my skin is already sensitive in clean environment), blister on my left foot ,due to the non perfect new trekking boots. 

However now, I am already grumbling about the super hot weather in Singapore, the itchiness on my body ( I guess I need to go see the doctor soon so that I can claim my travel insurance). I guess 2 weeks of endurance in Nepal has not really changed me. Well, given the fact that I am "pampered" for over 20+ years, the 2 weeks of learning how to appreciate things is fast forgotten. But I will still try to cautiously remind myself...
*Shrugged*

It's definitely an eye opening and despite the "suffering" there, I will still make the same decision to go if turn back time. The greatest mountain of all is afterall residing there, and if given the chance, I still want to give it a try to go to Everest Base Camp. However, of coz with better preparation. I dun wan to be a burden to the rest of the team as well as to endanger myself. Time is crucial when you are up in the mountains. The faster you arrive at the destination, the more time you have for rest and for acclimatization. The slower you go, the more weary you are, and you probably need to fight with time to arrive the destination before the sky turns dark. 

For those who are planning for a trek in Nepal, some basic things you should have ( based on my own experience, things that I was lacking)

1) Walking stick ~ Super important! You will need this to help push yourself up the stairs/slope and to brake yourself when going downslope, can get it with a bargain at less than S$10 at Nepal.
2) Headlight ~ Crucial when you need to go toilet without electricity and you probably need your both hands free
3) Sunglass and sunblock ~ I went without sunblock, thinking that it's winter/spring period, which was a big mistake. You are so much higher above sea level, which will mean more UV radiation.
4) Wet tissues/ baby wipes ~ For hygiene purposes and because taps do not seemed to work at times, and when it becomes too cold to bath.. The least you can do is to wipe yourself.
5) Waterproof jacket, headgear ~ Weather is quite erratic. I met rain during one of the climbing days and my jacket was wet and I was freezing. But we couldnt go on because it would be quite dangerous to climb up when the soil and stone were wet. So without any motion, my own body could not emit heat and the wet jacket made it worse. It was miserable then and I could almost do a " rain dance" ~ anything to stop the rain so that we can proceed on..
6) Medicine ~ A lot of medicine, just stomach alone, there should be anti bacteria pills, to relieve diarrhoea, to relieve stomach gas, to sooth stomach pain etc. I only prepared one type of stomach medicine which did not seem to be effective or strong enough. Luckily, there was another team mate, who was an experienced climber, and really came prepared with all sorts of medicine.

Well, the list will go on from toilet papers, moisturizers, zip lock bags ( to keep all the belonging dry), warm clothings, shoe glue ( a few team mates had their shoes wear off, and it is proven that Singapore Army boots are really the best shoes for trekking) etc

I will blog about my mountain trek in probably the next one or 2 entry based on my best recollections. Pictures will be posted up soon when I got the better ones from the photographers in the team.

So now I'm announcing I'm officially back to all my friends and my readers! =)

2 comments:

o learn more about the Sherpas of the Mt. Everest region, read Beyond the Summit by Linda LeBlanc. Sherpas are the true heroes of Everest. Without their assistance, very few would reach the summit. Details of Sherpa culture and religion are interwoven in a tale of romance and high adventure. The story has something for everyone: a love affair between an American journalist and Sherpa guide, conflict between generations as the modern world challenges centuries of tradition, an expedition from the porter’s point of view.

Below are selections from reviews. To read the complete ones and excerpts go to www.beyondthesummit-novel.com

Beyond the Summit, is the rare gem that shows us the triumphs and challenges of a major climb from the porter’s point of view. The love of two people from diverse cultures is the fiery centerpiece of a novel that leads its readers through harshly beautiful and highly dangerous territory to the roof of the world. Malcolm Campbell, book reviewer

Conflict and dialog keep this gripping story of destiny, romance and adventure moving from the first page to the last paragraph. LeBlanc has a genius for bonding her readers and her characters. I found I was empathizing in turn with each character as they faced their own personal crisis or trauma.
Richard Blake for Readers Views.

A gripping, gut-twisting expedition through the eyes of a porter reveals the heart and soul of Sherpas living in the shadows of Everest. EverestNews.com

A hard-hitting blend of adventure and romance which deserves a spot in any serious fiction collection. Midwest Book Review

LeBlanc is equally adept at describing complex, elusive emotions and the beautiful, terrifying aspect of the Himalayan Mountains. Boulder Daily Camera

LeBlanc’s vivid description of the Himalayas and the climbing culture makes this a powerful read. Rocky Mt News Pick of the Week

A rich adventure into the heart of the Himalayan Kingdom. Fantastic story-telling from one who has been there. USABookNews.com

This is the book to read before you embark on your pilgrimage to Nepal. The author knows and loves the people and the country, and makes you feel the cold thin air, the hard rocks of the mountains, the tough life of the Sherpa guides, and you learn to love them too. This is a higly literate, but also very readable book. Highly recommended.”
– John (college professor)

Memorable characters and harrowing encounters with the mountains keep the action moving with a vibrant balance of vivid description and dialog. Literary Cafe Host, Healdsburg, CA

This superbly-crafted novel will land you in a world of unimaginable beauty, adventure, and romance. The love story will keep you awake at night with its vibrant tension and deep rich longing. Wick Downing, author of nine novels

Such vividly depicted images of the Everest region and the Sherpa people are the perfect scenario for the romance and adventure feats narrated. It’s a page-turner, so engrossing you end up wanting to visit Nepal! Not just novel, but perfect for those seeking to get acquainted with the culture of this country.
By Claudia Fournier (América, Bs. As., Argentina)

Anonymous said...

This remarkable idea is necessary just by the way