The "Crepe" Journey...

12:10:00 PM Unknown 3 Comments

Neverfull? Tivoli? Speedy?  Sound all so-familiar?

Of coz! They are series under the brand, Louis Vuitton, which are known to many.

But do you know that in the World of Cakes, there's also a "LV branded" cake??

*

*

*

*

Dun blink, proudly presenting to you ~> Crepe Cake.  Please bow to show your respect. =p
Strawberry Crepe Cake

I first encountered with crepe cake when I was in Hokkiado. It was offered in small slices in one of the buffets I had at the hotels. Well, the cake was nice then but didnt entice me for more. It was sweet but brief.

We moved on to Tokyo where we went for cakes and desserts after a meal. That was when I had the strawberry crepe cake. It was technically, a semi crepe cake with less layers and a combination of sponge cake. The presentation was so pretty that it was almost sinful to eat and "dismantled" the cake.
Original Crepe Cake

It was another occasion, when we walked so much that we needed a break for the legs, and ended in a coffee place.  Not too sure was it because we were too tired or the cake was simply too nice, that we almost devoured the cake.

Somehow during the process, I started to appreciate the "hard work" behind the many layers that resulted in this cake before me. Each layer was so thin that it felt non-existent, and yet it manage to balance out the cream so that it was not too heavy.

In fact, it reminded me of the nine-layer steamed kueh, which I love to "peel" layer by layer with my tongue to eat it. I'm sure a lot of people do that even though our parents will always tell us " Dont play with your food!" =p
Anyway, back to the crepe cake. That was how I ate it as well, peeled it layer by layer, and then licked off the cream before eating the crepe. It was such a simple cake with crepes and cream, and yet it was satisfying with the taste & the texture. It was a pity that I cant "tabao" back to singapore. *Sigh*

Back in singapore, I started to have craving for it, so I went surfing for it on the web. Apparently, this is not common in singapore but I managed to find three places that sell the crepe cake:

1) Sun With Moon Japanese Resturant
They dun have a variety here, offering just the chocolate flavour. Taste wise, it was quite close to the one I had in Japan. ^_^

But I wanted to reminisce the taste of the original flavour so the search continued....

2) Everything With Fries
They got 2 flavours here, Original & Nutella, and both were terrible. It was almost an insult to the royalty status of the crepe cake.

The crepe was so thick & hard, and the cream sandwiched  in between was so pathetic. If you think that how's a crepe cake should taste like, then you are totally misled. It was not even close.

3) Classic Cake

I had found this place through the web and there were ravings for it. But coz it's located at the far end of clementi, I didnt have the chance to try it until my sweet bf went to get it for me. Felt loved! =p
And he got me 3 flavours - Original, Apple & chocolate chips. Woo Hoo!
Chocolate chip at a closer view.
See? Many many layers! Many many hard work!

I remember reading somewhere which mentioned that a crepe cake can have as many as 20+ layers. Amazing rite?

The original and chocolate chip cake were pretty good, but the taste will deteriorate over time. Well, I felt that it tasted better on the day it was bought compared to next day. The apple one was okay, but I dint really like it. Keke

Overall, I still prefer the one I had in Japan, so dun forget to try it when you are there! As for the 3 location in Singapore, my preference will be Sun With Moon (except that it offers only 1 flavour) followed by Classic Cakes. The ones at Everything With Fries? Oh that's condemned by me oreadi. Hahah...

Like Fun-Hideout Facebook Page and follow me on Instagram to get quicker updates of Fun-Hideout and you can leave comment there too!  ♥ ♥ ♥ 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

where can i find those nice crepe cake in sg??
how big each whole cake and how much it cost??

Unknown said...

Hi Xiang Kong,

You can try out the crepe cakes at these places:

1) Sun With Moon Japanese Restaurant (Wheelock Place)

2) Classic Cakes (Clementi Arcade)

3) First Love Patisserie (Orchard Ion Food Hall)

I cant remember the pricing each.. but not cheap, vaguely they were priced at $7 or 8 per slice.

Then again, crepe cakes are definitely worth a try! ^_^


Unknown said...

thanks for the info!!