Hippopotamus Resturant [Closed]

11:37:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Do you love Hippo stuff? If you do, then you probably will adore this Hippo themed restaurant at Marina Square. =)


From the decor to the menu and even the wet tissue packaging are all Hippos! So cute!

Themed restaurant are commonly found in Taiwan. In Singapore, it's quite rare. I hope that more will come, as ambiance of a restaurant will definitely spice up your overall dining experience. And I cant wait for a Hello Kitty themed restaurant in Singapore! It will sure be a hit!


Free chips while we were deciding on our orders. The best part? It was refillable! Hoho

We began our meal with finger food: 

Squid Sticks - $8.90
Ooh.. I liked this! It dun tasted like the normal calamari, instead the texture tasted like chicken meat! How amazing.  The chewiness sure got our jaws warmed up to prepare for the rest of the dishes. The next plus point ~ it came with nacho dipping! ^_^


Cretan Salad
This was part of the set course "Hippo Smart" that my fren had ordered. The set costs $19.50 which comes with either a starter + main or main + dessert. 

The salad was served with goat cheese, which was not really my cup of tea. So, next!

Shrimp Potato Twists ~ $8.90
Somehow, this wasnt as good as I expected. Both ingredients aka prawn and potato are my favorites and I tried the same item at Triple Three, which was delightful. Either the prawns or the oil for deep frying were not fresh enuff. Oh well, this was only one of the few misses, nothing is perfect. 


French Onion Soup - $8.90


I heard from a friend that french onion soup is good and it was a pity that I didnt try it when I was in Paris. So I was quite "determined" to try it someday and it was a pleasant surprise to find the dish in the menu here.

I need to stress that I dun fancy onions at all, and yet I find this dish delightful. The "floating" pastry will absorb all the goodness of the soup like a sponge. What's more, there was melted cheese on top which was definitely a plus point. The soup was light and sweet, a good way to warm your stomach before the main dish. Must try for both onion and non onion eater!

********
Next, let's move on to the main dishes!

Before I forget, every main dish comes with choices of side dishes (up to a maximum of 3), namely fries, potato gratin, green beans, rice, baked potato and ratatouille. Very generous indeed, considering that the pricing is very economical.

Grilled Chicken with Ratatouille, Fries & Potato Gratin (below)

Potato Gratin
Again, this was ordered as part of the Hippo Smart set. On its own, it's probably around $10+. Hey, it cannot be more expensive than the set price of $19.90, rite?

The chicken was surprisingly tender, even though it was breast meat. Side dishes wise, ratatouille was something uncommon, basically made up of different vegetables and tasted a tad sour. Potato gratin was another favourite but I would recommend 1 portion for 2 to share. It will be too much carbo ( potato + cheese) for 1 person to finish, so let's not waste food. =)

Hanger Steak with Baked Potato & Long Beans

This was ordered via another set "Hippo Trio" which is priced at $29.90. Erm, I didnt take note of the combination, but it should be a starter + main + dessert.  Didnt get to try this also, so no comments on the taste. Aiya, my fren's order leh. I cant be going around the table to nibble other people food mah.

Cheese Burger with Long Bean & Fries ~ $14.90
The beef patty was pretty juicy. Nice try!

Next up ~> Desserts, of coz!

Creme Brulee
Another fren's order under the set meal. I can only comment that the portion was hugeeeeeee!

Churros (12 sticks) ~ $10.90
The churros was disappointing lah. It tasted of stale oil, or simply dun taste like churros. Most likely, I wont order this in my next visit.

                                                                                 Floating Island
I had this for my choice of dessert under the set meal, coz it looked interesting from the ingredients listed ~ egg white & condensed milk. The taste was indeed unique, overall sweet & light. The floating island was basically the egg white foam floating on the condensed milk. The foam was kinda tasteless, so I had to dip the foam with lotza of condensed milk. The chocolate sauce was also given sparingly, which was of "not much help". Keke

*********

I revisited the place again and tried some other dishes. See, I will "test" the restaurant again before I start blogging. Reliable source rite? I must stress, I'm not being lazy in blogging ar... Keke

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you. The picture quality differs because I was using iphone to take the 2nd round, so just make do okay?


BBQ Ribs - $19.90


The ribs were tender and soft. which made eating ribs much more 'enjoyable'. The meat would just fell off from the bones without much effort. =)


Rump Steak with Ratatouille - $16.90
My rump steak looked like a gigantic meatball huh? =p

The specialties seems to be beef, as they have many different cuts in the menu. I dun really know what's the differences, but you can always approach the staff, who will explain to you. Most of the staff here are very attentive and knowledgeable in the items in the menu, although there are still one or two who can be quite blurred. Haha, that will set your expectation of the service level.


Chocolate Combo Set - $10.90
This time round for dessert, we ordered the combo set, which consists of a scoop of Ben & Jerry Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Crepe topped with Chocolate Sauce, slice of Crunchy Cake, Mousse and Brownie.

Hmm, I would say this is quite passable. Even though there is suppose to have a variety of desserts, it tasted almost all the same. Hahaha.. too chocolaty for me bah.

********

HIPPOPOTAMUS RESTAURANT
Venue: 6 Raffles Boulevard, Marina Square
#01-204/205 S039594
Contact: 6338 5332

0 comments: