Capricci

12:31:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

CAPRICCI
Venue: 27 Tanjong Pagar Road
Contact: 6221 6761 
Website: http://www.capricci.com.sg/

********

This was the 2nd restaurant I had visited in the Restaurant Week and bf suggested to go to one with "star" aka those higher rating restaurants. So, instead of $25++ per pax for lunch, we had to pay $40++ per pax, which came up to about $100 after all taxes & charges for 2 pax.  Still expensive after the discount! >.<

The restaurant was nicely decorated with a warm cozy feel. For the pictures of the restaurant, you may want to browse the website instead for a better gauge. Service was nice & warm too, and they changed your utensil after every course, high class service standard indeed. I'm not complaining but I kinda not used to such "atas" (high class) environment. LOL.
We were served a basket of warm bread almost immediately when we were seated, which was complimentary. However, both my bf and I felt that the focaccia bread was a tad salty and so we dint finish the bread. The other bread in cubes was better, being soft and fluffy, which went very well with the olive oil/balsamic vinegar dip.

As a good start, we were pampered with choices for all the 3 courses ~ 4 for starters, 5 for main courses and 3 for desserts. There were restaurants which only offered 1 fixed item for the 3 courses, no alternatives at all. I thought that defeated the purpose of introducing the restaurants and its menu to more people when it was a time to show case their best dishes! Oh well... *Shrugged*

Again, I will state the original price for each item..
Broccoli Souffle with Cheese Fondue ($22)
Note that the broccoli is replaced by aparasgus in the original menu

I was expecting broccoli served in cheese dip for this dish, so this came as a surprise presentation. It was served warm and soft, like mash tofu with broccoli. The cheese in it was very mild, so mild that I would never though there was cheese in it if not for the name. So I guess, this should appeal to non-cheese lovers too.  A pleasant yet unique dish.
36 months cured Parma ham with rock melon sorbet ($24)

Again, I was "wow" by the presentation. Have you ever thought of serving sorbet as your appetizer? And have you ever thought that rock melon as normally paired with parma ham can be replaced by rock melon sorbet? Wow, that was C-R-E-A-T-I-V-E. 

Okay I must say parma ham was never my favourite. On its own, it was very salty. The saltiness was slightly "covered up" by the sorbet as I used the ham to wrap around a generous scoop of the rock melon ice-cream. Haha. Dun mind me, I admit I dunno how to appreciate parma ham.
John Dee grass fed Beef Tenderloin with green peppercorn sauce and parboiled asparagus ($38)

Totally no idea what it meant by "John Dee grass fed" when I ordered this.  Is it a person or a brand? Solution to question marks ~ Google!

The closest I can find is this link.  So, I guess it meant some premium brand grain eaten by the cow which in turn, will produce premium beef!

The serving was quite generous with a thick slab of premium meat, but I thought the serving was quite plain with just boiled (tasteless) asparagus. Perhaps, the chef's intention was for the diners to focus on the premium meat instead? *Pondered*

Anyway, I ordered medium rare. It was very juicy and "bloody" yet not uncooked, leaving the meat very moist and tender.  I think I mentioned this before ~ the red juice which seemed bloody was not blood. Basically, most of the blood will be drained from all meat before it is cooked. But my bf was pretty turned off by the bloody scene. Hoho
Breaded Norwegian Salmon with herbs and cherry tomato confit ($38)

Again, focus was on the salmon, which means no sides except for the cherry tomato buried underneath the big piece of salmon. Very soft and fresh, a pretty well done dish.

On a side note, as we were waiting for our desserts to come, we started to feel bored. If you notice, the dishes all came with a chilli padi, so we challenge each other to eat the chilli padi. Oh gosh, the chilli padi was really HOT! I only nibbled the end of it and I got to gulp down glasses of iced water and attempted to soak my big tongue in the iced water.  >.<

Warning: DO NOT, I stressed again, DO NOT, try this bo liao challenge. And dun ask me why the dishes came with chilli padi. Other than trying to "induce" us to do this stupid thing, I oso dunno why.
Panna Cotta drizzled with Strawberry Coulis ($14)

Finally, desserts came!

We were told that this was one of the more popular dessert at Capricci and so we ordered the panna cotta! Very creamy texture and milky taste, so I guess you need to love dairy product to like this dessert.  On the other hand, the strawberry coulis was quite sour, only good as decoration.
Bounette ala Piemontese (Cocoa Pudding) with crushed Amaretti Biscuits ($16)

Nothing will go wrong with chocolate definitely. What enlighten this dessert was the extra touch of the crushed amaretti biscuits and nuts, which added crunchiness to the soft cocoa pudding. 

Overall, we had a pretty enjoyable lunch with good food and service. Then again, the pricing may be a bit too hefty for me to revisit.

Follow me on Facebook and Instagram to get quicker updates of Fun-Hideout and you can leave comment there too!  ♥ ♥ ♥ 

0 comments: